- Average Cost of Owning and Operating an Automobile is $8,876 per year (Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics)
- After housing, an automobile will be the most expensive expenditure each young adult will have when they complete school
- Due to the enormous cost of owning and operating a vehicle it is our duty as parents to help our teens become financially literate in this area of their life
- Students will be safer if they know what to look for when it comes to basic car care, maintenance, and repair
- People are keeping their vehicles longer – The median age of an automobile in the US in 1990 was 6.5 years; in 2015 it was 11.4 years (Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics)
Recent check up events revealed…
- 80% of vehicles on the road need service, fluids, or replacement parts
- 9% of vehicles have their check engine light on
- The most common problem areas were air filters, engine oil, belts, windshield wipers, hoses, tires, and lights – basic inspection procedures that all drivers can perform at the end of a Consumer Auto course (Source: CarCare.org)
Are vehicles too complex to perform basic car care?
Most of us count on vehicles for efficient transportation, yet we commonly postpone, disregard, or shy away from the basic maintenance that keeps them safe and reliable. When was the last time you checked the air pressure in your tires? Is your tire tread worn past the legal limit? What does it mean if your vehicle’s check engine light illuminates? How do you replace a headlight? What simple things can you do to conserve fuel? Are you breathing dirty air in the passenger cabin? Did you know that recent check-up events revealed that 88% of vehicles needed service, fluids, or replacement parts (Car Care Council, January 11th, 2007 News Release)?
A misconception exists that vehicles are too complex for the average consumer to perform do-it-yourself activities such as care, maintenance, and repair. Even though technology on vehicles grows exponentially, automotive owners can still perform many basic procedures to maintain a safe and dependable vehicle, as well as save money. Auto Upkeep provides practical easy-to-understand explanations with hundreds of detailed pictures and drawings to help consumers accomplish simple, but important, preventative measures and make sensible economic decisions.
From choosing an insurance policy to performing basic maintenance and repair, Auto Upkeep presents the information that every driver needs to know. Auto Upkeep provides essential information on automotive systems, common problems, repair procedures, tools, safety, choosing a repair facility, car buying, and insurance policies. Chapters include helpful guides regarding servicing, tech tips, troubleshooting, average replacement part prices, frequently asked questions, and web links. This book is also beneficial for consumers that don’t want to be hands-on, but want the benefits of being automotive literate. Consumers that read Auto Upkeep become confident decision makers, ready to communicate effectively with technicians, and prepared if they need or want to do the work themselves.